Ad Spot

Join us at Auburn Antebellum Home

During Fall Pilgrimage, the members of the Auburn Antebellum Home will be hosting their 5th annual “Evening at Auburn” from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday, featuring entertainment by Burnley Cook, master of the Calliope, performing music from the steamboat era complete with mintjuleps and finger foods.

If you have never heard Burnley perform, you need to be at this evening event.

Tickets for $20 per person may be purchased by calling Auburn at 601-442-5981 and leave a message if there is no answer, or visit Natchez Pilgrimage Tours at 640 S. Canal St. (Natchez Visitors Center) or tickets may be purchased at the door.

Proceeds from the evening will be used for the restoration of Auburn. Get your tickets and bring your lawn chairs for a great evening. In case of rain, the program will be moved inside and Burnley will use the piano. This year we hope to feature Natchez 101, a group of historical preservationists who will be in period costumes from 1716-1817. Auburn was built by Levi Weeks for Attorney Lyman Harding, who had moved to Natchez from Boston and was completed in 1812. It was the first mansion to be built in Natchez. Weeks wrote to his friend that “this is the first house in the Territory on which was ever attempted any of the orders of architecture.”

Attorney Harding died in 1820 and the second owner of the house was Dr. Stephen A. Duncan, who had moved to Natchez from Pennsylvania. He and his wife, Catherine, moved into Auburn around 1821 and lived there until 1863 when they left Auburn with four of the five children and their families on a Union gunboat which conveyed them north and eventually to New York City. Dr. Duncan died in New York in 1867.

Stephen Duncan Jr. elected to stay at Auburn and lived off and on there until his death in 1910. His heirs decided to donate Auburn, all the furnishings, and 210 acres to the City of Natchez with the stipulation that the land would be made into a public park in memory of the Duncans, thus we have Duncan Park. The second stipulation was that the house and land remain together. Because of that stipulation, the City decided to sell all the furnishings thinking the house would be easier to take care of if it were empty.

The City made an apartment upstairs for the caretaker of the park and his family to live, but downstairs remained virtually empty and became a playhouse for the children of the city.

In 1972, the Town and Country Garden Club (later to be named the Auburn Garden Club) set up a lease with the City to open the house for tours on a daily basis and operated a Bed and Breakfast for many years to earn money to furnish Auburn with period furniture. Over the years, a few of the Duncan original pieces of furniture and fixtures have been returned to Auburn. We would be very interested in acquiring more. During the evening, a ticket holder will get to see our latest Duncan original piece of furniture donated to us by the estate of Gloria Cooke of Crenshaw.

In 2009, the members of the Auburn Garden Club, petitioned the City and the State for a name change and new bylaws. The Auburn Antebellum Home is the new name with a focus on Auburn preservation. We are a small group of male and female volunteers who still lease the house from the City and manage it. If anyone wishes to join our group, please contact Auburn at 601-442-5981 and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Auburn Antebellum Home is a nonprofit 501c3 organization for federal income tax purposes and donations for our restoration purposes will be appreciated. A receipt will be provided upon request. Auburn doesn’t receive any tax money so we operate on only tourist dollars and donations.

We will also have our 11th annual Christmas Open House from 1:30-4 p.m. Dec. 9 so save the date.

J. Clark Feiser is president, Auburn Antebellum Home.

News

Law officials arrest 3 in connection with automobile burglaries

News

Master Gardners host spring plant sale at Co-Lin

News

Security officer enjoys building relationships with students

Business

Jobs everywhere but few workers to fill them

Business

Natchez artist opens mobile-making studio amid pandemic

News

Concordia Parish jury finds Clayton man guilty in killing of his wife, 12-year-old boy

News

International investors from India visit Natchez on economic development trip

News

Donations of items needed for 3rd Gayrage Sale

News

City approves final lease for historic train depot on Broadway Street

News

Lt. Gov. Hosemann addresses American Rescue funds in Natchez, Adams County

Business

Hosemann won’t close door to Medicaid expansion in Mississippi

News

Natchez Euro Fest moved to Sunday due to weather

News

Local resident takes photo of lightning strike behind Mississippi River bridges

News

Firefighters work house fire on Rankin Street Tuesday night

News

ACCS Drama Club to perform Aladdin Saturday

News

CPSB names candidates for Superintendent of parish schools

News

Police investigating shooting on Bishop Street

News

Thomas named STAR Student at NHS, chooses Coach Haywood as STAR Teacher

News

Library closes for renovations

News

Adams County man arrested for alleged sex crime with juvenile

News

Master Gardener plant sale April 17 at Co-Lin

News

Harriss keeps active

News

Cemetery restoration workshop comes to Natchez Wednesday

News

CPSB reviewing applicants for new superintendent of schools